Each of the individual elements which comprise the newly opened Riley Children’s Health Sports Legends Experience at The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis will have a day of celebration in a Saturday morning series which began March 24.
Each segment of the Legendary Sports Saturday series will run from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., with a variety of activities including giveaways for guests, mini drills with athletes and coaches, and mascots and cheerleaders. Each Saturday session will be different, museum officials said.
Following is a list of the coming Legendary Sports Saturday festivities. The series began March 24 with the Indy Fuel Hockey Experience. Note that museum officials plan to continue to add elements to each date
- March 31 – Subway Soccer Experience: Learn and practice soccer skills and drills from Indiana Soccer Association coaches. Other activities include face-painting.
- April 7 – The Seymour and Rheta Holt Tennis Center: Sports “legend” Barbara Wynne – who will be immortalized in bronze this June with a statue along the Old National Bank Sports Legends Avenue of Champions – will give a pointer or two on the courts. Several members of the United States Tennis Association will attend.
- April 14 – National Art Museum of Sport: Attendees can take an art lesson from C. W. Mundy, whose work is featured in the new National Art Museum of Sport. Face-painting will also be offered.
- April 21 – Riley Children’s at Indiana University Health: A session emphasizing the importance of health, fitness, wellness and fun, with physicians sharing advice in mini health sessions.
- April 28 – Indianapolis Colts Football Experience: The Indianapolis Colts will announce their fourth- and fifth-round draft choices live from the Sports Experience. Colts players and cheerleaders will be on hand.
- May 5 – Indiana Pacers and Indiana Fever Basketball Experience: Fan favorite mascots Boomer and Freddy Fever will meet guests. Visitors will also have a chance to meet Pacemates, Fever players, alumni Pacer and Fever players and receive cool giveaways.
- May 12 – Baseball will be the theme on Weise Field when Indianapolis Indians players meet visitors from 10 a.m. to noon. Learn some baseball skills and drills. Mascot Rowdie will also attend. Stay and play through the early evening and hear a broadcast of the Indians game.
- May 19 – Indianapolis Motor Speedway Pedal Car Racetrack Experience and the Church Brothers Collision Repair Dragstrip Experience: During the legendary month of May, the Sports Experience will celebrate all motor sports throughout the day. More details will be announced..
- May 26 – The Pete and Alice Dye Golf Experience: From toddlers to teenagers to adults, visitors can practice and learn some golf skills on one of four nine-hole golf courses designed and inspired by legendary golf course architects Pete and Alice Dye. There will be closest to the pin contests with prizes and PGA professionals giving lessons in the hitting net and helping on the putting green giving lessons all day.
- June 2 – The NCAA Sports Legends Training Facility: Details of the wrap-up to the Legendary Saturdays series will be announced.
General admission tickets to the Children’s Museum now includes the Riley Children’s Health Sports Legends Experience from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Outdoor experiences will take place weather permitting. If there is inclement weather, programs and activities will take place inside.