Two major access points to Downtown from the Near Eastside will be closed as early as Tuesday, Jan. 3, as work on the Downtown interstate project continues. Following is information provided by the Indiana Department of Transportation regarding the North Split reconstruction effort:
* Michigan Street will close through Jan. 17 and 10th Street will close through Jan. 15, all weather permitting. Michigan Street will close under I-65 between Davidson Street and Pine Street for overhead structure demolition. Motorists traveling west on Michigan Street will be detoured to Rural Street, then directed west on Washington Street to College Avenue.
* East 10th Street will close under I-65 and I-70 between College Avenue and Highland Avenue for overhead structure demolition and beam erection. Throughout the duration of this closure, motorists traveling eastbound and westbound will be detoured to 16th Street.
*Starting on or after Jan. 3 through Jan. 25, weather permitting, the ON–ramp from Meridian/11th Street to Delaware Street will experience daytime lane restrictions Monday through Thursday from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. Both the right-hand and left-hand lanes at the intersection of Meridian and 11th Street will be closed as crews work to improve overhead traffic signals. Motorists will be directed to the center lane to progress through the intersection. Minimal traffic impacts are anticipated throughout the duration of these restrictions.
* INDOT further reminds motorists the ramp from Delaware /11th Street to I-70 eastbound is scheduled to close on or after Jan. 11. This closure will be in effect for approximately 60 days. Traffic will be detoured to West Street onto I-70 eastbound, or New York or Ohio streets to Pine Street onto I-70 eastbound.
Access to downtown Indianapolis will be maintained via:
- I-70 westbound collector/distributor (C/D) ramp exit ramp to Michigan Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- Pine Street entrance ramp to I-70 eastbound from Ohio Street, Michigan Street and New York Street
- I-65 northbound/I-70 eastbound exit ramp to Washington Street (13-ton declared vehicle weight restriction in effect)
- I-65 northbound and southbound to Martin Luther King. Jr./West Street
- I-65 southbound to Meridian Street
- I-65 northbound to Meridian and Pennsylvania Streets
- All existing ramps on I-70 west of the South Split
INDOT encourages drivers to slow down, exercise caution and drive distraction-free through all work zones.
Stay informed / For up-to-date project information, visit northsplit.com or text “NORTHSPLIT” to 468311. Follow the North Split project’s progress on social media at Facebook.com/NorthSplit, @NorthSplit (twitter) and @IndyNorthSplit (Instagram).
Motorists can monitor road closures, road conditions, traffic alerts and see traffic cameras anywhere throughout the state by visiting INDOT’s Cars 511 website.
PHOTO ABOVE: East 10th Street at the interstates, earlier in the reconstruction process.