Invited guests received a sneak preview on Nov. 22 of the Athenaeum Foundation’s first-ever Christkindlmarkt, which will open on Friday, Nov. 25, with the first weekend running through Sunday, Nov. 27, in the Biergarten.
Christkindlmarkt will continue next month in the Biergarten – Dec. 1-4, Dec. 8-11 and Dec. 15-18. Hours will be 5 to 9 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays, noon to 9 p.m. Saturdays and noon to 5 p.m. Sundays.
As reported in the December edition of Urban Times, a major highlight of the event will be a long-time Athenaeum staple – Sankt Nikolaus Fest, to be incorporated into the market on Sunday, Dec. 4. The fest will include a visit from Santa along with his Old World sidekick, Krampus – himself the subject of a special event on Saturday, Dec. 3.
The Christkindlmarkt will feature live entertainment on the Rathskeller stage, as well as 12 specially designed vendor huts occupied by local artisans and merchants.
JOLLY DAYS WINTER WONDERLAND: The crisp smell of ginger and spice will fill the air at The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis on Saturday, Nov. 25, as the greatly anticipated holiday event will open its doors through Jan. 5. Families can visit Santa through Dec. 24. While in the exhibit, visitors can take part in faux fishing, ice-skating and holiday baking. There will also be a castle to climb and a magical globe that allows visitors to let it snow at the push of a button.
On Friday, Nov. 29, elves will rappel from the rooftop to greet Santa as he zooms to the museum in a real race car to kick off the festivities. It all begins at 8:30 a.m. The Chorduroys will lead a holiday sing-along to usher Mr. Claus down the festive red carpet to the 47-foot-long Yule Slide. One lucky member child will get to accompany Santa on a fun ride down the Yule Slide to mark the opening of Jolly Days.
Other holiday programs at the Children’s Museum will include:
– Free holiday crafts – 8:30 to 10 a.m. daily. Youngsters can customize a bell with different colors of ribbon to make it your own unique instrument to celebrate the holidays.
– Thttps://www.childrensmuseum.org/exhibits/lilly-theaterhe Magic Snowman – An interactive musical with performances Nov. 29 through Dec. 28. Go to www.childrensmuseum.org for a schedule.
– Holiday Dinner Theater – Sunday, Dec. 15. A performance of The Magic Snowman along with a buffet dinner, meet-and- greet with the actors, and a musical performance by The Mistletoes. Jolly Days and the Yule Slide will be open exclusively for ticket-holders from 5. to 6:30 p.m. Visit www.childrensmuseum.org for ticket prices and additional information.
The museum will offer free admission on Dec. 24. The museum is open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on that day.
FROM THE PAGES OF URBAN TIMES. Here’s a reminder of news which has been reported in the November and/or December editions of Urban Times:
– Jingle Rails: The Great Western Adventure, an elaborate model railroad environment, opened Nov. 19 at the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art. It continues through Jan. 16.
– The Indianapolis Zoo unveiled Christmas at the Zoo on Nov. 19, including Santa’s Village in the Bicentennial Pavilion. The festivities continue through Dec. 30.
– The Festival of Trees, the Indiana History Center’s annual exhibit with more than 75 thematically decorated trees, opened Nov. 11 and continues through Jan. 7.
– Joy of All Who Sorrow Church will host its traditional Old World Christmas Village and Market on Friday and Saturday, Dec. 2-3. Hours are 5 to 9 p.m. Friday and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday.
– Celebration Crossing opens at 11 a.m. Friday, Nov. 25, with Santa Claus’s arrival by helicopter at the Indiana State Museum. Through Jan. 2, and including visits with Santa prior to Christmas.
– Indiana Landmarks will stage its annual concert, The Holly & The Ivy, at 7 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 15. Landmarks will also host the Indianapolis Holiday Church Tour 2022 on Saturday, Dec. 3.
– The Murat Theatre in Old National Center will be the setting for the Indianapolis Ballet’s annual presentation of The Nutcracker, Friday through Sunday, Dec. 16-18. An abbreviated version for younger children, Nutcracker Sweets, will be staged Dec. 9-11 at Newfields.
– The Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra will present Yuletide Celebration from Friday, Dec. 2, through Friday, Dec. 23.
PHOTO ABOVE: Guests browse the booths during a preview of the Athenaeum Foundation’s Christkindlmarkt, to be open four extended weekends beginning Nov. 25.